You have no items in your shopping cart.
But the field of robotics is the science behind Pleo and this page is dedicated to that science. With an amazing operating system dubbed Life OS by INNVOLABS (its makers) and a slew of advanced sensors and servos, Pleo is destined be the most lifelike robot the world has ever seen.
Pleo Robot - Technology Has Never Been So Charming!
What kind of baby dinosaur is Pleo?
Pleo is modeled after a one week old Camarasaurus, a gentle loving plant eater from the late Jurassic period in prehistoric history. By studying actual fossil records of this giant herbivore, combined with Caleb Chung’s amazing skill in recreating animal motion with technology, INNVOLABS has blessed Pleo with an astonishing realism in both movement and structure. A full size adult Camarasaurus was over 60 feet (18 meters) in length and weighed about 18 tons. INNVOLABS chose wisely to make the baby instead, which is about the size of big puffy cat. This choice was made to spare consumers the exorbitant freight costs associated with shipping a full size Camarasaurus.
The Camarasaurus was an extremely social creature and traveled in herds as they roamed the Earth searching for food to graze on; the perfect temperament for this friendly little green dino we call Pleo.
Inside The Mind Of Pleo
Pleo is capable of learning over time and of expressing many different moods and basic animal drives such as hunger, fatigue, fear, and love. When you leave for work or school Pleo will explore its’ environment and continue to learn. Pleo’s neural net adapts to stimulus from you and the environment, this means Pleo’s personality and demeanor over time will change in response to how you treat it. Pleo will limp if you hurt its’ leg and will remember that you were mean (don’t be mean!). Pleo will frown, smile, shrug, yowl for food, and do the clever things a baby knows how to do to get your attention and make you laugh.
Our favorite Pleo trait: Pleos can react to each other and learn from each other; they can even catch a cold!
|In Depth||A camera in the nose helps Pleo remember places and basic information about locations 14 super quiet motors help Pleo achieve a new level in realistic body movement Multiple processors help coordinate Pleo’s advanced sensor net and keeps Pleo’s servos running smoothly Sensors for sight, sound, and plenty for touch, over 35 in all, make Pleo a responsive little dino that can react to you and the environment in a natural way. There’s even one for tickling Pleo under the chin! A flash card slot will allow you to swap personalities and share them with others via an online web site Ugobe will provide. Pleo has USB port. When connected to your PC you will be able to modify aspects of Pleo’s personality using a personality editor or scripts that you write yourself. A C/C++ developer’s kit (SDK) is available for those who really want to try their hand at modifying their Pleo’s behavior.|
|Dimensions||20.5"(52cm) Long, 6.3" (16cm) wide, 7.5" (19cm) Tall|
|Weight||3.3 lbs (1.5Kgs)|
Pleo Robotic Pet - Merlin Edition FAQ
What is Pleo?
Pleo is an autonomous robotic life form, modeled on a one-week-old Camarasaurus dinasaur, Pleo is designed to mimic life which means Pleo thinks and acts independently, just like real animal.
What do you mean by "Life Form"?
In general, a Pleo Life Form looks, moves, and behaves in ways that trigger a "belief of life". Specifically, Pleo has organic body language, exhibits emotions, is aware of his sorroundings, and has recognizable behaviors.
What is a Camarasaurus?
Camrasaurus (KAM-ah-rah-sawr-us) means "Chambered Lizard" (Greek kamara= chamber, and saurus = lizard), referring to the holes in its vertebrae. Camarasaurus is the best-known sauropod found in North America and the the most abundant of fossils from the Late Jurassic period. Camarasaurus also lived in Europe, where it survived into Early Cretaceous times. A complete, nearly perfect skeleton of a juvenile, 17 foot (5.2 meters) long was found in Utah. Its head was short and box-like with nostrils set above the snout and in front of the eyes. The weight of its backbone was lightened by holes in its vertebrae. Its neck was shorter and thicker than most sauropods, and it possessed a short and somewhat flattened tail. The forelimbs and hind legs of Camarasaurus were about the same lenght.
What makes Pleo special?
At the heart of Pleo and other Ploe Life Forms is Pleo's Life OS. It is the operating system software that enables Pleo to act independently and adapts Pleo's personality according to his interactions with you and the environment.
What is PLEO Life OS?
PLEO Life OS is a complex platform of tools and technologies that enable Pleo's mechanical, electronic, sensory, and Artificial Intelligence systems to interact as a lifelike whole.
What age is Pleo suitable for?
Pleo is a highly sophisticated product that is much like an inquisitive animal that requires attention and care. Children under 12 years old should be supervised when playing with Pleo.
Can Pleo talk?
Pleo makes animal sounds but Pleo does not say any words.
Will Pleo be able to hear?
Yes, Pleo is able to hear sounds when he is till and it is quiet.
What are some things Pleo cannot do?
Pleo cannot fly and Pleo cannot swim! Please ensure that you do not drop Pleo from a great height or drop him into water, as doing so will void the warranty included in this package. Pleo is for use only in dry, indoor locations. Remember to care for Pleo like a pet with the utmost care.
Can I paint my Pleo?
No. Please do not paint Pleo, as the thinner that the paint contains might adversely affect Pleo's skin material. We do, however, encourage you to accessorize your Pleo to match his unique personality.
How can I care for my Pleo?
Please read all cautionary statements contained in the packaging, including all electrical warnings and handling instructions. To clean Pleo, use only a damp cloth and wipe carefully. Do not use soap or any other cleaning agents. And please, do not attempt to make any repairs yourself! You will automatically void the warranty included in the package.
Why is my Pleo slow and sluggish?
Just like a real life puppy, Pleo needs his rest. When his battery is running low or in extremely hot temperatures, Pleo may slow down, seem tired or sleepy, or even shut down. Please keep Pleo indoors or in moderate climates between 32 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit.
Why is my Pleo not turning on?
1) Make sure the battery has been charged for four hours.
2) Double check that Pleo has been switched "ON"
3) Is Pleo sleeping? Gently nudge or tap Pleo to wake him up.
4) Much like a cell phone battery, the Pleo battery may need to be replaced over time.
My Pleo is being too loud. How do I reduce the volume or turn the sound off?
Press the Pleo button once to "Mute", press twice to low volume and press three times for loud volume.
Why is my Pleo freezing up or stopping in the middle of an action?
Pleo may stop operating of "lock up" when receiving an electrostatic discharge. Simply turn the power off and then back ON to resume play.
Before You Get Started
1. READ this Companion Guide.
2. CHARGE Pleo’s battery for at least 3 to 4 hours before first use.
• Online at www.pleoworld.com with the serial number located on the bottom of Pleo’s front right foot or on your Pleo Identity Card.
• By mail with the enclosed Registration Card.
4. CHECK for important software updates on www.pleoworld.com. To download the latest software you will need a USB cable.
5. KEEP your original sales receipt for Warranty purposes.
6. CONTACT US
- Pleo is a technically advanced product and your experience is very important to us. If you have concerns about Pleo’s functionality we would like to hear from you. Please contact Innvo Labs Customer Service before you consider returning Pleo to the place of purchase. You can reach us at www.pleoworld.com/support or call the Pleo service line listed in the Customer Support Information document included
Table of Contents
11-12 The 3 Laws of PLEO
13-20 Getting Started with PLEO
• What’s in the Box?
• Handling PLEO
• Charging PLEO
• Life Stages
• Waking PLEO
• The PLEO Button
• Interacting with PLEO
• PLEO’s Emotions
36. Registering Pleo
37. Joining PleoWorld
38. Software Updates
49. Registration Card
We are thrilled to introduce you to PLEO! You are now the proud owner of PLEO, an Innvo Labs Life Form. All of us at Innvo Labs are passionate about creating robotic Life Forms that inspire emotional and lasting connections with people. After a thorough study of PLEO at Innvo Labs, our scientists were able to isolate and repair a gene which allowed us to rebuild PLEO’s physical and mental systems. PLEO is reborn as PLEO! In addition to multiple skin and eye color versions, PLEO has been reborn with the abilities to learn, to be responsive and to interact with its environment and you. This guide will help you get started and have a brief understanding about PLEO...but it won’t tell you everything about PLEO—it can’t! You will see PLEO has evolved and is an autonomous creature with a complex software architecture that enables it to:
• Learn and understand your verbal commands
• Express moods and emotions
• React to special PLEO food, learning stonesand toys
• Know the time of day
• Sense hot and cold
• Be more touch sensitive
• Have a better sense of motion and orientation
• Respond to you and the environment
Keep a Plog (a PLEO Blog). Track your PLEO’s experiences and set of behaviors on www.pleoworld.com. Compare notes with others in the PLEO community. And let us know what you discover!
The 3 Laws of PLEO Life Forms
PLEO Life Forms must:
1. Feel and convey emotions
2. Be aware of themselves and interact with their environments
3. Learn and evolve over time
Getting Started With PLEO
What’s in the Box
2. QuickStart Guide
3. Companion Guide
4. Lithium Polymer Rechargeable Battery, Charger and AC Adapter
5. PLEO Identity card
6. Training Leaf
Note: the SD card, SD Card reader / writer are not included in package and sold separately at your local electronics retailer. Some packages may also contain a USB cable
- Like any newborn pet, PLEO must be handled with the utmost care. Remember that it is a highly sophisticated, state-of-the-art Life Form
Some very important DO’s and DON’Ts:*
• Place a supporting hand under PLEO belly when picking it up.
• Treat PLEO as you would treat any living creature—with care and respect.
• Turn PLEO off and stand him on all four legs when not in use. Place PLEO back in its original packaging for safe and secure transportation and storage. Use the Pleo button to return Pleo to storage position
• Abuse PLEO
• Get PLEO wet
• Drop or violently shake PLEO
• Sit on PLEO
• Place PLEO near heat or flames
• Expose PLEO to continuous sunlight or high heat lights
• Place PLEO in sand, soil or mud
• Leave PLEO with pets or animals capable of biting or damaging it
• Risk overheating PLEO by covering him with a blanket during play
• Allow small children under age 12 to play with PLEO unsupervised
Note: Failure to abide by these guidelines may void the Warranty.
Charging PLEO’ Lithium Polymer battery
As a new PLEO owner, please charge PLEO’s battery right away.
1. Check that the charge mode slide switch is the “Normal” position.
2. Plug AC adapter jack into charger cradle and plug into a wall socket. Place battery securely into charger cradle.
3. The typical charge cycle is 3 to 4 hours. The “PLEO” logo on the charger will illuminate green when charging is complete. In hot (+95ºF) or cold temperatures (+32 ºF), the battery may not charge.
Indicator Light – Status
Red – Actively charging
Green – Charging complete
No Light – Check power to charger cradle and make sure battery is seated properly
Flashing/Blinking – Battery not seated properly. Make sure it is securely placed in the charger.
4. If battery had been left unused for a long period or if battery run time is short, slide the charge mode switch to the “Recovery” position before inserting battery into the cradle. Charge cycle in “Recovery” mode is about 16 hours.
5. Push release button on back of charger cradle to release battery when fully charged.
6. Insert battery into opening in Pleo’s belly. Lift up the semi-circular key of battery cover. Twist counter-clockwise to lock in place. Fold down semi-circular key.
7. Turn power switch to ON position for play with Pleo
Warning: Do NOT use non-Pleo AC Adaptor or Battery charger. Those included in the box are specifically designed for Pleo ONLY
Pleo has three life stages, and his progress depends on your level of interaction. Listen for his first sounds, look for his first steps, and watch how he adjusts to his world. As Pleo progresses through each stage, he exhibits a broader range of movement and behaviors.
The Three Pleo Life Stages
Stage 1 – Birth
First 5-10 min., approx. (depending on level of active interaction)
What to Expect
Pleo opens his eyes to both you and the world for the first time. He starts to adapt to his environment. He is very slow, and his sensors are not very responsive yet. The more you pet and nurture Pleo in this stage the more confident he becomes and the faster he will develop. Pleo is finished “hatching” when he is fully awake and stands up on all four feet.
Stage 2 – Hatchling
30-45 min., approx (depending on level of active interaction)
What to Expect
Pleo starts to exhibit basic behaviors and needs. He begs to be fed, starts to walk, explores his environment, takes short naps like a baby, and starts to exhibit a wider range of emotions
Stage 3 – Juvenile
Indefinitely; the rest of his life
What to Expect
Pleo enters into his final stage of development. As he expands his capacity to learn, he exhibits a full range of movement and behaviors. He begins asserting a personality. You can’t go wrong (aside from physically mistreating Pleo), so take your time to observe, play and learn about Pleo
1. Now that Pleo is fully charged, it’s time to wake Pleo for the very first time
2. Make sure Pleo is turned ON (“1”).
3. Place a hand on Pleo’s back and gently shake him.
4. Please know that Pleo might not fully wake at first.
Invite Pleo to open his eyes and say hello to the world by petting, touching, and talking to him. Pleo might not know exactly what you’re saying but he can certainly feel your touch! Pleo is awake when he starts to exhibit all the signs of a newborn Life Form. You may see him:
• Open his eyes wide, blink a few times, and look around his new environment.
• Stretch and let out a cry.
• Take his very first shaky and tentative baby step! And now your journey really begins...
The Pleo Button
Activation – Function
Press once – Mute
Press second time – Soft Volume
Press third time – Normal Volume
Hold 10 Seconds - Turn Off / Packaging / Storage Position
Interacting with Pleo
Pleo is a complex Life Form capable of feeling and perceiving. Explore how Pleo’s sensory abilities enable him to see and sense both touch and motion.
Pat, hold, and pet Pleo. Have fun exploring how Pleo reacts to being touched on his head, chin, back, and legs.
Pleo is able to detect objects in his path.
In a very quiet environment, when he is very still, Pleo can hear sounds from his left or right.
Pleo can tell when he is on the ground, being held in the air, or has been accidentally tipped over. See if he is ticklish.
Pleo is able to navigate around objects and other Life Forms in his environment.
See how your Pleo interacts with other Pleos.
Caring for Pleo:
Pleo can express dissatisfaction from time to time. Please treat Pleo as you would any other living creature – with care. Be attentive with how you raise your Pleo. Like any pet or newborn Life Form, Pleo actively responds and interacts with his environment.
Here are some suggestions on how to play with Pleo:
• Place the training leaf in Pleo’s mouth. If he’s not hungry, does he play “tug-of-war”?
• Set a soda can in front of him. How does Pleo react?
• How does Pleo react when you pick him up and hold him?
• How does your Pleo respond to being petted, held and loved?
• What happens if you turn Pleo upside down? Can he tell which way is up?
• Can you teach Pleo to do a trick?
Remember: Have fun! Pleo is a Life Form. See what he is capable of doing. Observe how he responds to you and his environment.
Get to know your Pleo and log on to www.pleoworld.com.
What can your Pleo do?
Understanding Your Pleo
What determines how Pleo feels?
PLEO™ Life OS is a complex software system that combines core behavioral instincts (e.g. the need to eat, sleep, explore, and interact) with the ability to respond to and interpret external stimuli (e.g. sound, light, touch, objects).
For example, if Pleo:
• Has not been interacting with anyone or receiving any external stimuli, he may get bored and take a nap.
• Is feeling adventurous, he may choose to venture off on his own.
• Is feeling hungry, he may learn to satisfy his hunger by wandering off and grazing on his own.
• Has recently eaten, he may want to play tug of war.
Pleo’s response to his environment depends on how he feels at the moment. The intensity of his moods may also vary.
He may feel:
• Very happy
• A little sad
• Somewhat curious
• Extremely scared
• Or something else altogether.
Play with Pleo and get to know him. Keep track of moods. Figure out for yourself what makes your Pleo tick!
IMPORTANT: Check for any critical or important software updates for your Pleo. Once you’ve registered you will automatically receive e-mail notification of software updates.
Registration is quick and easy!
• Visit www.pleoworld.com**
• Locate your 12-digit serial number under your Pleo’s front right foot or on your Pleo Identity Card.
• Record your user name and password for safe-keeping.
Welcome! You have now joined the PleoWorld community!
** OR mail in the included Registration Card. Make sure to provide phone number, address, and email so that we can contact you with critical updates.
What is PleoWorld? It is a whole community of Pleo owners and robotics enthusiasts who share your passion for Pleo on www.pleoworld.com.
What can you do on PleoWorld?
• Access new downloads for Pleo sounds and behaviors
Join an Online and Offline Community
• Participate in discussion boards
• Share with other Pleo owners
• Find like-minded Pleo pals
• Search for other Pleo owners in your neighborhood
• Create a Custom Pleo Profile
• Write a “Plog” or Pleo Blog
• Share Pleo stories — upload videos and photos
Download content and additional software from the Pleo web site www.pleoworld.com.
PleoWorld.com offers a variety of cool downloads for your Pleo.
• Fun downloads to expand your Pleo’s capabilities
• The latest Pleo software updates
To access PleoWorld and to transfer downloaded files to your Pleo, you will need the following:
• A PC or Mac
• An Internet connection
• A USB cable - for software updates only
• An SD Card Reader/Writer*
• A blank SD Card* – for fun downloads
Most high performance SD cards will work successfully with Pleo.
Check www.pleoworld.com for specific suggestions on SD cards.
* Each sold separately at your local electronics retailers.